Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

My fathers house in pa went sale in april..i was told we

Customer Question

My fathers house in pa went for tax sale in april..i was told we have 9 months to redeem the property..where do we go to do this at? How is it done? Do i need an attorney?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Can you tell me what city the house is located in?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bethlehem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Northampton county
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, give me a few minutes to locate the proper law and process for you.

.

.

thanks

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, under 53 P.S. Section 7293, it states:

.

(b)  Any person entitled to redeem may present his petition to the proper court, setting forth the facts, and his readiness to pay the redemption money;  whereupon the court shall grant a rule to show cause why the purchaser should not reconvey to him the premises sold;  and if, upon hearing, the court shall be satisfied of the facts, it shall make the rule absolute, and upon payment being made or tendered, shall enforce it by attachment.

.

So father would have to present a petition to the court that ordered the tax sale requesting to redeem the property by paying all the costs of the sale along with anything the purchaser paid in order to exercise the right of redemption. Since he would be within his 9 month redemption period, the taxing authority would be able to calculate the total amount due and provide him with that amount so he could redeem the property.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do i need an attorney to do this?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

To be honest, if father/you are not familiar with filing your own motions, then it would be a good idea to contact a local real estate attorney to assist with the motion to ensure that it is properly drafted and filed.

.

.

thanks