Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have been a member of homeowners association years and

Customer Question

i have been a member of homeowners association for 19 years and paying 32 dollars/month for common area maintenance. there is no maintenance that has been done in our area for these long years. how can i discontinue my membership?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Response: Unfortunately, you cannot discontinue your membership. The Association needs its membership in order to be in existence. If your home is part of an Association you cannot discontinue your membership in the Association. However, if you are not happy how the HOA is running the place, you can file complaint with the Attorney General's Office at the following address:
State of New York
Office of the Attorney General
Real Estate Finance Section
120 Broadway, 23rd floor
New York, N.Y. 10271 (###) ###-####