Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

Q: My landlord served me with a 3 day notice on Sunday

Customer Question

Q: My landlord served me with a 3 day notice on Sunday August 2nd 2015. experation date is the 5th is 3 day notice?
I live in Ohio I'm told Sunday's don't count when serving a notice. But the experation date on the notice says Wednesday instead of Thursday. They also included late fees. I would like to know if the notice is defective and whether I can ask for a new one?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts to opt out of participation in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. The landlord cannot count the day the notice was served, nor can they count weekends or legal holidays.

Thus, if the notice was served on Sunday, the three days actually began to count from Monday, arguably.

However, the notice is not defective arguably, simply because of the miscalculation of the date. Or rather, it is presumed valid. The landlord would then file a claim and argue that it was filed timely. Then someone in your situation may or may not get a few more days after the first hearing if the Judge agrees that the notice was one day short, however, this is at the discretion of the Judge. I would not gamble on the Court dismissing any eviction outright.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.