Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Real Estate Law Mentor
26296561

I was purchasing a mobile home in Florida. I put down

Customer Question

I was purchasing a mobile home in Florida. I put down $1000.00. I then tried to cancel the agreement the next day assuming I would get my money back because of the law regarding the fact that a person has 3 days after signing an agreement to back out. The mobile home sales person says he will not give back my deposit as this law does not pertain to mobile home contracts. Please help.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** am a Florida licensed attorney and I will be glad to help you.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Do you have a legal question that I can answer for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know if I can get my $1000.00 deposit on a mobile home back if I back out of the contract the day after signing it? Can the real estate agent legally keep my money?

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, a signed contract is a legally binding document and Florida does not have any type of 3 day period to cancel such contract, so it is valid and legally binding, once it is signed by both parties.

So, unfortunately, generally, if the buyer backs out of the contract, then the buyer would forfeit any deposit paid plus the seller can sue the buyer for any additional damages directly related to the buyer's breach of contract.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.
Do you have any related follow up questions?