Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

My wife and I have been in this house years we have spent

Customer Question

my wife and I have been in this house for 22 years we have spent over 100,000. dollars in improvements made mortage payments payed off the mortage of 13,000. and for the last 8 years payed all the property taxes the problem is that my brotherin law put the original mortage in his name we have payed all maintenance and utilities for 22 years I also put half of the downpayment down it was a property that would stay in the family and never be sold brotherinlaw hasn't paid a dime in over 8 years now wants 65,000 from us we bought it for 58,000 and I put 9,000 down what rights do I have
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing JUST ANSWER. One key item of information is missing. That is, who holds title to the home. The name(s) on the deed is critical in your situation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My brotherinlaw
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

What was the idea behind not having your name on title to the property at the outset?