Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I live in a subsidy housing complex.I was dating this guy a

Customer Question

I live in a subsidy housing complex.I was dating this guy for about a year & let him stay overnights every now & then .this guy was caught in my apartment with drugs which I wasn't aware of I was @ work of the time this happen.this guy is arrest & incarcerated Now.Now my housing complex is trying to Evict me & my 12yo daughter because I'm head of household.Do I have a chance of not getting evicted from my apartment? Do I have a chance? Because the only thing that I did was trust this man in my apartment which I should have not if I would of know what he was about.Do I have rights?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You do have rights, but you are going to have to go though an appeal. You have to argue that he did not have permission to be in your house when you were not there and that you had no knowledge of the drugs. You need to show he was not a tenant, but an infrequent guest and argue that he was at your apartment while you were working against your permission and you cannot be liable for something where you are not present and have no knowledge of him doing.
Most times, the housing agency will give you one chance and you will have to convince them that the relationship with the man is over and he no longer comes onto the property as well.