ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed General Practice Attorney, Texas
19487448

My deceased ex husband is stil on my mortgage. How do I take

Customer Question

My deceased ex husband is stil on my mortgage. How do I take him off. I have sent and faxed his death certificate to my mortgage company several times.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  ScottyMacESQ replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately "you" can't take him off. The mortgage is an obligation between borrowers and the lender, and only the lender could do it (or through a complete pay off, either through cash or refinance) could the name be taken off the mortgage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I refinance in my name only, if I'm not on the deed ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Isn't the Lender the same as the Mortgage?
No, you couldn't. That would be one of the only ways to remove your ex husband from the deed (aside from paying it off or them removing you voluntarily). The lender could be the same as the mortgagor (the mortgage is the actual debt that you have).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My ex husband was court ordered to take his name off the deed. Which he did..
Unfortunately that has absolutely nothing to do with the mortgage. The deed pertains to ownership while the mortgage has to do with a separate loan, simply secured by that property. If the loan is not paid, they can take the house. But taking his name off the deed has nothing to do with the mortgage.
Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?
If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or higher. It's only then I am credited.
I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5
Thank you. Please rate that on your screen, as I cannot process it on my own. There should be a place to rate the answer on your screen, and press "submit". If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated.