Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

This property is in Ohio. I sold my small farm to my late

Customer Question

This property is in Ohio. I sold my small farm to my late husband's nephew about two or three years ago and was to keep lifetime living rights. The warranty deed says as long as I live unless I am no longer able to take care of myself or leave the property of which neither has happened yet. I have met a man and am back and forth. I get my mail at my home I stay anywhere from one to two nights to three weeks here depending. Last month I was only home two days in forty two days due to the fact that I was helping say Bob with his grand children for two weeks. then his youngest daughter parents of those children for a weekend while the kids were here. They went home the his middle daughter and family was down over the fourth for four days. On their way back to Cleveland another couple who are long time friends of Bobs and a year ago friends of mine were on their way down. They stayed three days and nights and went home and his youngest brother came in with his son for three days. Now the nephew and wife are trying to get me for abandonment of my home. While I was gone they removed all my trees and flower bed and flag pole. I came home with a new flag to put up for the fourth and my pole and every thing was gone. Our verbal agreementwas that I would see the yard was mowed and niece in law would weed eat. I pay to get yard mowed and the weeding hasn't been done in three weeks. My question is how many consecutive days do I have toreside here. I pay the bills of which they use the electric. gas water phone. Plus I keep my Hughes Net paid and I also have direct tv plus trash bill. I pay all of those. Now how can I be called on abandonment
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There is no number of days requirement to maintain your life estate in OH. Under OH laws, you have your rights to a life estate forever unless 1) you fail to maintain and cause damage to the property, 2) you are no longer physically able to reside there or 3) you voluntarily give it up in writing. There are no maximum or minimum days you have to live there and you can travel for 365 days, as long as you maintain it and you indicate you plan on returning and have not given it up, they cannot take it away from you.