Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

We are currently renting a house. Once our one year lease

Customer Question

Hello, we are currently renting a house. Once our one year lease ended it rolled over to a month to month. Just the other day, out landlords sent a letter of intent to end our lease on August 31st. (Giving us proper 30 day notice). However, they say it is because they plan to do interior improvements that would be hazardous to young children (we have 2 boys, ages 3 years and the other is 9 months, we are expecting our 3rd in January). The place we are renting has sheds in the back yard (which we do not have access to). Recently, we have noticed who we assume is a relative of our landlords moving boxes of clothes, Christmas decorations, bikes, and all sorts of household goods into the sheds. Not a week after, we get our notice. We are under the assumption that is the true reason they have given us notice. I work for a property management company in Maryland, Im not very familiar with Pennsylvania laws when it comes to renting. Is there anything we can do about this? If someone could please contact me as soon as possible... I can be reached at(###) ###-####or email,***@******.***. Thank you.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
Because you are on a month-to-month lease, the landlord unfortunately is not required to give any reason at all for terminating the lease. So, even if they said they were renovating when the truth is that they are allowing someone else to move in, I'm sorry to say, that doesn't give you any legal right to stay. Your only protection comes from the rental agreement, and a month-to-month lease never gives any rights other than to stay beyond 30 days.
Fair Housing Laws prohibit someone from discriminating against a person based on their familial status, so they couldn't actually evict you for having children. If you could somehow use the letter to show discrimination, that might help you. But it doesn't sound like that's the case.
It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.