Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am having a problem I purchased a property and

Customer Question

Hello, I am having a problem I purchased a property and closed on July 14th, that's when the problems began. I signed papers to purchase the home on June 7th and the seller was moving to Oregon, they agreed to the terms the closing date was suppose to
be July 23, and I would allow them 30 days to get there belonging. On June 8th I get a call from my agent that the owners don't want the stuff and then we could have the keys the day of closing I agreed, I could always call Amvets to donate. After that I received
a note from my agent and this is what it said Hi Melissa: I am working with Pam to get a letter of explanation and we have ordered the home owner's insurance. Pam asked to move the signing date to Friday, July 17th as her landlord has requested additional
time to clean so he can get a renter in by August 1st. I have moved the date up and have let Pam know we need to have everything in by tomorrow, Tuesday, July 7th to get the clear to close for that date. I will update you soon. Have a great afternoon. This
came from the company I'm getting a loan from, my agent sent me this, so she was aware at that time it would close early and we did on July 14th I was to be at the title company, I called my agent she said she was going to get the keys and we would meet there.
I got there and she was already there I sat down next to her and gave her a gift card, she said thank you, ***** ***** ask to move over to another chair so that I could sign the paper, we signed and I handed over the check, after I did that my agent stood up said
the seller are having an auction now of there belongings and ran out the door, no hand shake, nice doing business with you NOTHING. The seller brother decided he wanted to auction off the items to make money, and the seller is in Oregon now, as of August 6th
the auction is over and my home that I have title to will be empty, my insurance company is saying I have to be living in the house within 30 days of closing or they can cancel, Teresa I spoke with said she would put a note next to my policy the problems I'm
having, also my landlord how is letting me stay until September 1st he has renter they had to ask there landlord to extend the date they are moving, this hole thing has cause so many problems and costing me a lot of money. I was never told about a auction
she had time to inform me about a auction but did none of that and now I find out that the neighbors were I'm moving have keys to my home but I don't what can I do, and is my agent in the wrong for what she did to everyone involved.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The other question is since the Auction is over on the 6th of August and I get in to remove all the old carpet, and have new carpet installed it's not fair that my house sits empty and neighbors have keys to my home but I don't. Can I go remove the locks and put new locks on to protect my investment I have had title to the home since July 17th.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

Response: This is quite ridiculous! You have been taken advantage of and your agent has failed you miserably. If you have title and the Seller is not paying for the use of the premises after the closing to have time to sell her items, you should go and change the locks and tell everyone to stay away.
Your agent took her commission and ran. You should file complaint against her with the Real Estate Board:
http://com.ohio.gov/documents/real_COM3688REComplaintForm.pdf
You should not purchase a property since July 14 and not have possession of the property. You need to be paid by the Seller from July 14 to now for still occupying the premises.