RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I recently lost most of my possessions in a storage

Customer Question

hello, i recently lost most of my possessions in a storage that i rented due to flooding. do i have any options?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I am sorry to hear about this. Would you mind sharing with me what the storage people and the insurance company said when you filed a claim? Did you have a chance to review the rental agreement and if so, was any protection or insurance provided by them, in the event of something like this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
insurance said we opted for 3,000 dollar policy, that was all they could do. storage people said take it up with insurance people
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, i trusted my daughter to handle the problem and she is boy crazy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she cannot find insurance policy, she said insurance company would only pay 3,000. i lost 20,000 in valubles.
Thank you for the additional information. If you had your personal items insured, the insurance company would need to pay out on the loss, based upon the coverage which you had. If the property was protected and covered in the event of a flood, you could make a valid claim. Moreover, I am inclined to believe and you need to review the contract and documents from the storage facility, that they have insurance and it may offer you some protection from the loss, based upon the flooding as well. They have an obligation to protect the contents of the storage lockers, so if there was a flood and things were damaged, you may be able to recover from them as well. Now, if there was insurance but it was only taken for up to $3000, that would be something that was at your own discretion and unless it can be shown that the facility was negligent and at fault for this, the policy which is in place would control and that is all they would be liable for.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks. i will review policy and talk with you on friday.
You are welcome. I look forward to hearing back from you then.