RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

If someone is buying a home with an homeowners association

Customer Question

If someone is buying a home with an homeowners association (a single family home, not a condo) how long after signing the purchase agreement does the seller have to provide the CCR's and other HOA docs?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon. What State is this in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is in Florida
Good evening. The contract should address this time period, in which the seller needs to turn over a copy of the HOA documents, so the buyer can review them and decide if they want to obligate them self to comply with them and become part of the HOA. There may be language in the HOA documents which they do not like or an issue which needs to be known or disclosed, so the buyer should demand they be turned over within X number of days or allow X number of days once received, to review and back out, if they want. Typically, they should be turned over in 5-10 business days, since the seller should have a copy on hand or they can contact the HOA to obtain one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What if the contract doesn't state a time frame? There is a Florida Statute that requires condo docs to be given within 3 days of signing the contract without regard to the sales contract. My buyer is trying to get out of the contract. I previously got out of purchasing a condo because the HOA docs weren't given to me in 3 days. So, I want to find out if the same law applies to an HOA that is a non- condo.
I believe this is what you are referring to and seek. http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0720/Sections/0720.401.html