Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

A house i owned was foreclosed taxes in 2012 and

Customer Question

A house i owned was foreclosed for property taxes in 2012 and sold after that and GMAC mortgage was lender at time. Last july the mortgage for that property showed up on my credit report and is now owned by CENLAR Financial. What are my options in this.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid you are going to have to fight the mortgage holder. The issue is that even though the house was sold or foreclosed for back taxes, you are still liable for the mortgage, which is why they are still reporting it. You have the choice to negotiate some settlement with them on the mortgage or you would have to file bankruptcy to get the liability for the mortgage against you removed and extinguished.