Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

I own a home in Brooklyn NY with my two 86 year old parents...I

Customer Question

I own a home in Brooklyn NY with my two 86 year old parents...I lived there with them until I got married and moved to PA in May 2013...I maintain my 50% ownership in the home and I pay all the real estate taxes...the deed (title) shows that I am a 50% owner in the home. My question is what happens if one or both of my parents have to go into a nursing home? Does NY State permit a nursing home to put a lien against the home we own? If so, can they put a lien on the entire home value or just on the 50% that is legally owed by my parents?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
If so, can they put a lien on the entire home value or just on the 50% that is legally owed by my parents?If the folks need a nursing home and Medicaid assistance, only their half interest would be subject to a lien. It's more complicated because there are two of them, and if only one goes in first, the interest in the home might not be considered if the spouse remains there. There are some complicated Medicaid and Capital Gains tax rules involved, so you might be wise to consult a NY Elder law specialist on the advisability of transferring their half to you during their lifetime. I hope that this information is helpful.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
HELLO AGAIN. I hope that my Answer has been helpful. If you need more information, please send me a Reply. If not, I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my Answer so that I can receive credit for assisting you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.