Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

I have an ederly mother that is living in a condo - she lives

Customer Question

I have an ederly mother that is living in a condo - she lives on the first floor there are three steps from the street to the entrance door of the compliex and the same near the parking area they are made of concrete she has fallen and I have fallen several tiems - we are asking the condo association to install a grab rail along the steps or a banister system to help secure someone who is trying to walk up the stairs. She is in her late 80"s but can function on her own it is just the steps that have given her problems. We have not received anythihng back from the condo associatation. We would like to understand our rights - ***** ***** - 401`(###) ###-####Dallas Texas - email *****@******.***. Thanks
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please tell me whether or not your mother has any type of disability, or not?This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's almost 90 and she has heart and lung issues. She has breathing problems (shortness of breath) and her stability isn't good.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize. Thanks in advance for not "shooting the messenger."
Someone having health problems or not feeling well due to old age does not give them any type of ability to demand additions to the property to make traversing it easier. If she was formally disabled, then the Americans with Disabilities Act would apply. However since she is not, then she has no right to request any special stairs remodel/addition. I am sorry.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.