Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

We just recently found out that a house on property we own

Customer Question

We just recently found out that a house on property we own has asbestos insulation in the cieling. Can we legally sell the property to my daughter under a land contract and have them take over responsibility of the cleanup?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You can sell it to your daughter under a land contract, but no matter what you do, you do have to disclose the asbestos as part of the mandatory disclosures on sale (because even though it is your daughter, you have to make the mandatory written disclosures to her by law). If your daughter has notice of the asbestos and other defects at the time of sale and the sale is "as is" then your daughter knowingly assumes the responsibility for the clean up.