Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

Trying to obtain a list of owners/title search (1980-Present)

Customer Question

Trying to obtain a list of owners/title search (1980-Present) for 3 properties in North Carolina. Vance County. How do I go about obtaining this information.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.This information would be with the Vance County Register of Deeds. See HERE. Unfortunately, the Register of Deeds to that county does not seem to have an online search, so they would have to be contacted for the records (or, possibly even visited)***** Suite FHenderson, NC 27536***-***-****I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I figured that much out on my own. I was asked what I had done so far and my response was I did an online search and called Vance county but both sources were only able to give me current owner no past owner information which is what I need.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
When you say "both sources were only able to give me current owner no past owner," you mean over the telephone, I am guessing. Which is all they can do about 95% of the time.
In order to get a more historical record, one actively has to go down there. The deed records do keep a record of owners. Unfortunately, one may have to visit the archive one's self to do the search, as clerks generally will not do the research for you. In fact, special attorneys exist that do this kind of research that are called "landsmen."
There may be no way to get the information without visiting the archive or asking a landsman to do so on your behalf. I am sorry.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.