RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

Does Allstate have the right to ask receipts once I have given

Customer Question

Does Allstate have the right to ask receipts once I have given them appraisals 7 months before I filed a claim on my jewelry?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. Would you mind sharing with me a little more about what happened?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was robbed and Allstate had my appraisals for my jewelry now they want receipts. Is it true that they can't ask me for receipts because they didn't ask for them at the time I gave them my appraisals it sounds like a double standard to me,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gave them my appraisals 7 months ago when I took out an additional rider on my policy for homeowners for my jewelry.
Thank you for the additional information. It is likely a formality, as they want to make sure that the jewelry was actually purchased by you and you simply did not borrow someones at the time, get it appraised and insured and are not trying to pull a scam on them and commit fraud. Now, unless there is something in your policy which requires you to have a receipt, you do not have to turn one over if you do not have it. It is not uncommon for someone to pay for cash or not have any record kept of the purchase, so if you simply tell them you do not have it, then it would not be relevant and they may waive this, unless there is something specific to the policy being issued, which would require it. I can share with you that I have bought jewelry in cash, do not have a receipt any longer and have submitted appraisals and the insurer has accepted it, so they may just be asking it for a more complete file but if not and there are issue, you do not want to use them if they are going to deny a claim, just because you do not have a receipt.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!