WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

I bought property in North Carolina in 2005 and put my then

Customer Question

I bought property in North Carolina in 2005 and put my then boyfriends name on the deed. We split up a couple years later. He signed a notorized document stating I purchased the property with the money I received from the death of my father acknowledging that I was the sole owner and he waived all rights recorded with Pitt Co government in NC. The document states I was selling the property and he was not to get any proceeds from the sale. I have finally got a buyer for the land but they said he and his now wife has to sign off on the deed. He is willing to sign but will not include his wife stating she was not a part of that and will not involve her. Can't the notorized document act as a quit deed? and isn't the property considered premarital assets for him?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the notarized document itself will not act as a quitclaim deed, but with the notarized document, you will be able to go to a judge in North Carolina in the county in which the property is located and get a court order that will be as good as a quitclaim so that you can sell the property free and clear of any claims by the ex-boyfriend and his current wife. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best. Please rate this 4 or 5 and close out the question. Thanks.