socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

I live in a private condo property that also has village controlled

Customer Question

I live in a private condo property that also has village controlled streets, in Illinois. There have been two vehicles left and not moving for 2-weeks now on our already congested cul de sac. Both are parked legally and licensed, but have not moved. The association states it has no control over the village streets and the village states it can't do anything since the vehicles are parked and registered legally. who needs to get the ball rolling to get these abandoned vehicles out of here?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.
Hello, State law defines an abandoned vehicle, as follows (625 ILCS 5/1-101.05): "Abandoned vehicle. For the purposes of Chapter 4, "abandoned vehicle" means any vehicle in a state of disrepair rendering the vehicle incapable of being driven in its condition or any vehicle that has not been moved or used for 7 consecutive days or more and is apparently deserted." State law further provides that law enforcement may order a vehicle towed after 7 days, and that a towing company may independently tow the vehicle after 10 days. See 625 ILCS 5/4-201. I don't know why the Village thinks that it can't tow the vehicles, because the law is clearly contrary. However, you could contact a tow company and see if they will take the vehicles. Those are the options. I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.Thanks again for using Justanswer!