socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

My wife's former employer refuses to complete the VOE sent

Customer Question

My wife's former employer refuses to complete the VOE sent to her by our mortgage lender preventing us from getting our home loan. She says she simply doesn't have the time. We've been asking her over and over again for several days to complete it and send it back, but she refuses. It is our final step in the process. Our lender has the check stubs proving she worked there, but they still require the VOE to be completed. Is there anything we can do to make them complete it so that we may purchase our new home? Or is it entirely up to these people whether we get a home or not?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.
Hello, The employer has no legal obligation to assist you in obtaining a home loan, because no law compels the employer to cooperate. The only exception would be if could show that the employer's actions are part of a pattern of unlawful discrimination, based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age or disability. However, even if you could prove such a legal theory, by the time you did, the home purchase opportunity would likely have been lost to someone else. You could, of course, suggest to the employer than unless she agrees to immediately fill out the VOE, that you will have no alternative but to bring a complaint to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), and claim discrimination in employment. Whether or not this would be a sufficient motive to cause the employer to fill out the form is unknown. Your only other recourse would be to find another lender that doesn't care about the VOE. I realize that my answer may not be exactly what you were hoping to read. However, under the circumstances, the best that I can do is to explain what the law is and is not, so that you can avoid expending valuable resources looking for answers that do not exist, and concentrate on the options that are actually available.I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.Thanks again for using Justanswer!