RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

We were in Florida last week, and we found a Villa (Townhouse/Condo).

Customer Question

We were in Florida last week, and we found a Villa (Townhouse/Condo). We visited a few, and then purchased
One. We paid our $2000.00 good faith money, and the price was agreed upon. We were told by our realtor that everything could be finished, through e-mail. We returned home and contacted the HOA, who was not open during the weekend. They told us among other things, that we would have to come back to Delray, Fla to be interviewed. I asked them whether we could have a interview on SKYPE,
But they told us, no. They said they had some problems in the past, and they wanted a on the spot interview. We are ready to send
Our application in,with a check for $100.00 for a background check, but the travel issue is a big one, since my wife is a nurse in a VA hospital. Do we have a recourse for this?
Marvin and Jacqueline Katter
Skokie,Illinois
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. Did you know prior to entering into the contract that the HOA would require an in person interview?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No,the HOA is only open for 3 hours,on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and we signed off on Saturday, and returned home
Sunday. I first contacted the HOA on monday, and they told me they interview people face to face, not on SKYPE or phone.
Thank you for the reply. The HOA can require that a potential homeowner interview, face to face. I understand the hardship which they may cause but unless they are discriminating against you and/or something of that nature, they can decline the request to appear via SKYPE or some other online method. If you can not appear for the interview,then you likely need and want to exercise your right to back out of the deal and assure your deposit is refunded. I know it is silly for them to not work and accommodate you but they can require it only be in person.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!