Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

My sons lease was signed and he moved in Tuesday the 21st.

Customer Question

My sons lease was signed and he moved in Tuesday the 21st. The leasing office told him to let them know of any issues and it can be fixed within 48 hours, but they usually fix them the same day. He has roaches, the floor is leaking in the bathroom, the front doorknob and deadbolt do not work properly. Sometime the deadbolt works and if you can't lock it it just pushes open. Finally the air conditioner fluctuates from 75 to 90 at any given time.
What are his options
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
Your son's rights are specifically set forth in the Texas Property Code. First, Section 92.052 of the Texas Property Code provides as follows.
"Sec. 92.052. LANDLORD 'S DUTY TO REPAIR OR REMEDY.
A landlord shall make a diligent effort to repair or remedy a condition if:
the tenant specifies the condition in a notice to the person to whom or to the place where rent is normally paid;
the tenant is not delinquent in the payment of rent at the time notice is given; and
the condition materially affects the physical health or safety of an ordinary tenant."
Second, Section 92.056 then provides your son's remedies as a tenant:
"Sec. 92.056. LANDLORD LIABILITY AND TENANT REMEDIES; NOTICE AND TIME FOR REPAIR.
A landlord 's liability under this section is subject to Section 92.052(b) regarding conditions that are caused by a tenant and Section 92.054 regarding conditions that are insured casualties.
A landlord is liable to a tenant as provided by this subchapter if:
the tenant has given the landlord notice to repair or remedy a condition by giving that notice to the person to whom or to the place where the tenant's rent is normally paid;
the condition materially affects the physical health or safety of an ordinary tenant;
the tenant has given the landlord a subsequent written notice to repair or remedy the condition after a reasonable time to repair or remedy the condition following the notice given under Subdivision (1) or the tenant has given the notice under Subdivision (1) by sending that notice by certified mail, return receipt requested, or by registered mail;
the landlord has had a reasonable time to repair or remedy the condition after the landlord received the tenant's notice under Subdivision (1) and, if applicable, the tenant's subsequent notice under Subdivision (3);
the landlord has not made a diligent effort to repair or remedy the condition after the landlord received the tenant's notice under Subdivision (1) and, if applicable, the tenant's notice under Subdivision (3); and
the tenant was not delinquent in the payment of rent at the time any notice required by this subsection was given.
For purposes of Subsection (b)(4) or (5), a landlord is considered to have received the tenant's notice when the landlord or the landlord 's agent or employee has actually received the notice or when the United States Postal Service has attempted to deliver the notice to the landlord.
For purposes of Subsection (b)(3) or (4), in determining whether a period of time is a reasonable time to repair or remedy a condition, there is a rebuttable presumption that seven days is a reasonable time. To rebut that presumption, the date on which the landlord received the tenant's notice, the severity and nature of the condition, and the reasonable availability of materials and labor and of utilities from a utility company must be considered.
Except as provided in Subsection (f), a tenant to whom a landlord is liable under Subsection (b) of this section may:
terminate the lease;
have the condition repaired or remedied according to Section 92.0561;
deduct from the tenant's rent, without necessity of judicial action, the cost of the repair or remedy according to Section 92.0561; and
obtain judicial remedies according to Section 92.0563.
A tenant who elects to terminate the lease under Subsection (e) is:
entitled to a pro rata refund of rent from the date of termination or the date the tenant moves out, whichever is later;
entitled to deduct the tenant's security deposit from the tenant's rent without necessity of lawsuit or obtain a refund of the tenant's security deposit according to law; and
not entitled to the other repair and deduct remedies under Section 92.0561 or the judicial remedies under Subdivisions (1) and (2) of Subsection (a) of Section 92.0563."
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!