Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

We own a house in a different state. We hired a property manager.

Customer Question

We own a house in a different state. We hired a property manager. We have not received any rent on time . Their aprox. 5 to six months late. The property manager has never sent copies of any work she says has been done on the house or property nor
have we seen any account book or report. The water company now has a lien for $3,200.00 and we were notified today the property is to be sold for delinquent taxes. Our agreement with the property manager was suppose to pay tax from rent paid, plus we just found out the tenants are more than 5months late on
rent. What should the property managers have done to prevent
this mess? Help!!!
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Your first step is to find a new management company within the next week or so. If the property is not yet auctioned you can payoff the back taxes and stop the auction. The water bill can also be paid.
The management company would have been sending monthly statements showing the income and expenses.
You will, of course be suing the management company for breach of contract. You should also notify the state attorney general's office since it is likely there has been embezzlement by the manager.
The most important thing is getting the control out of the hands of this manager.
Best regards.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question your question?