Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

I own a condo in Cook County and fell seriously ill

Customer Question

I own a condo in Cook County and fell seriously ill for several months. In those months I lost a job and fell behind on my mortagage and HOA fees . I filed bankruptcy and worked out a payment plan with my very understanding mortgage holder/servicer so I'm back on track with the bank.
I returned to my condo to find my locks destroyed on my front door and a note to call the property management company. Every time I call the management company the person who handles my account is never in. Upon further outside inspection of my unit I can tell that someone entered my unit and left out through the patio door (it's a first floor unit). Do I have any legal options to get the management company to give me some information? I can't get into my unit, nor do I get any answers from the company. I received no phone calls nor any mailings.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 1 year ago.
If your locks were destroyed and use just found out, you should file a Police Report. Possibly, management would be interviewed by the Police. There is no evidence at the moment that management had anything to do with the break in. Of course, management should return your calls. Since this is a condo, you may be able to escalate this matter to the board.