RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I rent a house in upstate New York. I had a lease year.

Customer Question

I rent a house in upstate New York. I had a lease for one year. After the lease ended my landlord and I agreed that I will be paying monthly same rent to continue to live here. Now one year after the landlord sent me the note that he wants me to leave the house by the end of September. I never missed my rents, but he wants the house back to himself. Can I continue to stay in the house longer if I need to? What are my legal rights here? What is the eviction procedure in the state of New York?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. Just to be clear, your lease previously ended and you now rent month to month?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is correct
Thank you. In a month to month lease, the landlord would only need to give you at least one months written notice to vacate, if he wanted to terminate the rental agreement. Even though you have been a perfect tenant, he doe shave a right to ask you to vacate and take possession himself. If you need more time, that would need to be worked out with him and if you fail to leave after the notice is given, he would them have to proceed through the court to evict you. That could take a few weeks as well, so if you did not leave at the end of September, he likely could have you out by the middle or end of October.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. Thank you.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!