Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
18572087

I am told in Texas, that a non-contributing spouse (not on

Customer Question

I am told in Texas, that a non-contributing spouse (not on the loan) must sign a deed on the property that the other spouse is purchasing. Why is this, and what are the benefits? Is this a state law?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. Yes, this is indeed state law. It comes down to property rights, nothing more and nothing less. Texas happens to be a 'community property' state, which means that regardless in whose name property is purchased or titled, if at the time the party is married, the other party, even if not on title, is deemed to be a 50/50 owner. As such, because they have an automatic ownership right, they have to sign off on the deed. There is no inherent benefit other than in case of divorce where the parties can more easily show marital assets which would therefore make it easier for those assets to be split up in case there is dissolution. Sincerely, ***** *****