CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
71563194

I own a piece of ranch property in Wyoming, I own it "in common"

Customer Question

I own a piece of ranch property in Wyoming, I own it "in common" with four other owners. Their are two old buildings that are abandon on the property and have been for about 50 years. I have paid all of the property taxes on the land and on the buildings for 15 years. Question: Who owns the old buildings?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
You all own them "in common" just as you own the property.The exception would be if you had a "Property Ownership Agreement" - this is an invaluable document that co-owners of real property should have that divides duties and obligations of co-owners, allows them to determine how the property is to be divided in the event of a sale or dispute, and helps set up maintenance and use. If you do not have one of these, I would highly recommend getting one.