Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
8534270

Virginia ,Recording or Filing Place

Customer Question

virginia ,Recording or Filing Place generally ,deeds should be recorded in the county in which the real estate is located although generally a deed does not have to be a valid conveyance.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.It is true that in Virginia a deed not has to be recorded to be valid.It is normally recorded in the county deed records, where it is recorded to put others on notice and to make sure the tax bills for property taxes go tot he legal owner.You can record a deed here in Virginia after the fact. Sample fees for recording. http://www.courts.state.va.us/caseinfo/QuickRefGuide.pdf I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Deeds here in Virginia do not take effect in reguard to creditors and subsequent purchasers without notice until the instrument is recorded. So here unrecorded deeds may be void as to all subsequent creditors and subsequent purchasers without notice until they are filed for record. Recording a deed puts any subsequent purchasers on constructive notice in that subsequent purchasers are deemed to have actual knowledge of any recorded instrument. -
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
So you may choose to record the deed here even if it is valid to transfer title it protects you against any subsequent creditors or purchasers. I cannot do a phone cal but can give you additional email time and answer any follow up you have.I will send you the offer.