Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My husband was arrested and they towed his truck. It w

Customer Question

My husband was arrested for trespassing and they towed his truck. It was stuck in some mud and so they had to wench it. The mud covered maybe 15 square feet of ground but they are trying to claim 360 feet they had to wench it. They are saying an officer was the person who measured it. He was not even 40 feet from the entrance gate. They want to charge 1500 for towing fees on something that only needed to be pulled 5 feet to be back on solid flat dry ground. Can they do that?
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've added a photo of where it was stuck and towed from
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, they can eventhough the fees are quite outrageous. The fees are regrettably legal and need to be paid to avoid more charges. I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But there is no way to justify that distance as the facility isn't even that big in length.
Response: He can contact the arresting officer to see if he can put pressure on the towing company to reduce the fee. The arresting officer or the local Police department would be the one giving authority to the towing company to tow the truck.