Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I live in Bakersfield, Ca and in the apartment complex Im

Customer Question

I live in Bakersfield, Ca and in the apartment complex Im living in for the last 3 yrs the new management said on one can park on the complex anymore and said the small garage that connects to the unit is now your new parking place. But its way to small
for my car and all my things in this small garage wont fit my car or my things and they say its in your contract but its not in the contract. Also towing away of all vehicles will begin ASAP and they dont have any posted signs anywhere. Can you help me please
!!!
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
If your lease does not have any parking restriction, then the Landlord cannot unilaterally modify your lease—the Landlord/management cannot modify your rental agreement. You need to ask the management to point you to the provision in your lease (contract) that states that you must park in the garage. If the management cannot do this, the management would be in violation of your lease if your car is towed for parking outside the garage. You can then take the management to Court for violation of the lease and to force the management to pay for any towing expenses you have incurred. http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-smallclaims.htm