Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

I was not able to get to the latest HOA meeting. I was

Customer Question

I was not able to get to the latest HOA meeting. I was getting a nuclear test to see if I have Parkinsons. At the meeting they decided to fine $125.00 to anyone that did not get the HOA approval to put in a new air conditioner. Mine was out for a day and is being replaced today. I was informed that because I did not get architectural approval from the HOA that I had to payfor their person to inspect the roof so their new roof (which we were assessed $500) was not damaged.No notice of the meeting or its decision was ever circulated. Should they not have notified us? I still cannot find the HOA rules on the web.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Is this a condominium?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

They're required to give 10-50 days notice before the meeting. Ariz. Rev. Stat., Section 33-1248. The notice has to be hand-delivered to each unit or mailed. This is one of the statutes that cannot be waived by an alternate provision in the bylaws.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

The notice has to tell you the time and place of the meeting. For special meetings, they also have to notify you of the purpose, so you know if you want to attend.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

If they're holding secret meetings and not notifying the owners, action taken is not valid. The only exception is if there's an emergency, and what you've described does not sound like an emergency.

It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.