Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT THE LAW IN TN. IS CONCERNING A PIECE

Customer Question

WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT THE LAW IN TN. IS CONCERNING A PIECE OF PROPERTY THAT YOU (ME ) HAS MAINTAINED FOR ALMOST 14 YEARS (WILL BE IN OCT. ) LIKE KEEPING MOWED AND TAKEN CARE OF.CAN THIS PIECE OF PROPERTY BE CONSIDERED HOMESTEADED? AND HAVE COMPLETE OWERNERSHIP AND HOW WOULD YOU GO ABOUT DOING THIS ? THANKS
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney licensed in Tennessee. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
You can claim ownership of the property in Tennessee under the law of Adverse Possession, BUT you must claim ownership for at least 20 CONSECUITIVE YEARS and pay taxes on the property for that period of time as well. Here's a good link you can read about this: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/who-can-claim-property-based-adverse-possession-tennessee.html
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Thus, you can eventually claim this property by adverse possession, but you'll have to wait another 6 years in order have the proper legal authority to claim ownership. Once that time period elapses, you can file a petition in your county chancery court and get an order finding that you are the true, fee simple owner of the property.