CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
71563194

My grandmother had a life time home, original paperwork said

Customer Question

My grandmother had a life time home, original paperwork said it included my mother, recently the housing people who she has been paying said she had to move, original papers stated after 15 years the home was paid in full, my grandmother died 4 years ago my mom has continued to pay for the home and this year in August makes the 15 years, is there something that can be done about this?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer, did your grandmother have a "Life Estate" in the property? This is a very specific type of property interest where you are permitted to live on the property until you pass away. Once you die, the "Fee Tail" passes to the next property owner (as specified in the chain of title).If this is the case, your mother should not have been making payments on the home for the past 4 years (the life estate would have ended when your grandmother passed away, and she should have vacated the unit).I would recommend hiring a local attorney to help your mother review the title documents to confirm what type of property interest really is at stake here and to help her negotiate a settlement here - maybe she can get a little bit of her money back (the next owner is going to oppose this by claiming that they should have been notified when your grandmother passed away, and also that they are at a minimum entitled to an equitable rent payment, but it is worth a shot).