Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I recently purchased a condo from owners who were being relocated.

Customer Question

I recently purchased a condo from owners who were being relocated. So I bought the condo from the relocation company, who purchased the house from the owners. I did have a inspection done prior to the sale. Since I moved in, I have discovered numerous problems that the owners did not disclose and the inspector did not report. I did get a home warranty with the purchase. The problems are - a poorly patched hole in the wall that they hid by a chest, a large gouge in the laminate floor that they hid under their couch, a broken window that they hid behind a curtain, windows that are damaged and screwed shut, a sliding glass door that has a broken seal, and a faulty plug in the wall in the garage that they hid behind stacked boxes. Is there anyone I can hold responsible for the cost to repair these problems?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. You need to first file a claim with the warranty company. They are responsible for repairs. If the warranty company will not cover repairs, then failure to disclose major defects would be legal basis to sue the seller for cost of repairing the damage or suing to cancel the sale and receive a refund of your purchase price.Generally, the fastest means is making the home warranty claim and getting them to pay. If they will not, then you have to sue the seller to seek the payment for the cost of repairs.