Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
18572087

In Pennsylvania is it illegal landlord to require you

Customer Question

In Pennsylvania is it illegal for a landlord to require you to ask for permission to have overnight guests? We recently moved from a home that we had lived in for 20 years - we are in a stage where we are trying to figure out what our next move will be and moved into a rental condo. The owners happen to live in one of the units. We had mentioned that our daughter son in law and grandson and their small dog would be visiting once or twice a month as they live about 2 hours away. They originally stated verbally that that would be alright. ( the rental agreement stated that the landlords needed a weeks notice for guests- that is they stated 1 guest a week - we thought that was about someone who may have another live in the unit after the lease was signed - so we naively signed this lease) They have a dog and adopted another since we moved in. There is also another dog in one of the units and there was one in the unit we presently occupy by the previous tenant. I had mentioned to the wife of my family's first visit. When my family wanted to visit again, they mentioned no dog and that my family could only stay 2 nights on a holiday weekend. They brought in a lawyer to try and bully us - mentioning we could get out of the lease with buyers remorse. However, we contacted a lawyer and he was not sure that we could get out without being financially responsible for the remainder of the lease.
All we want is to live peacefully and have our family see us. This is a short term situation - we are not living here forever. How can someone tell you that it is not ok for you to have your family visit you?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a licensed Pennsylvania professional and will do my best to assist you with your concerns. There is nothing inherently illegal about the landlord demanding that you first obtain permission especially when it comes to overnight guests--since an overnight guest may refuse to leave and become an occupant, the landlord has a right to review and approve (or deny) such guests, especially if such guests have a tendency or a history of staying overnight. If they do so long enough they can claim occupancy rights. As far as bullying you, I do apologize that you have such landlords. Some tend to be more understanding, others tend to be far more annoying and obnoxious. But they can indeed bar you from having someone stay over, and it is not in any way a violation of PA law. Sincerely, ***** *****