Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Real Estate Law Mentor
26296561

We rented a property year and one month and moved out.

Customer Question

We rented a property for one year and one month and moved out. There are multiple burns on three carpets about 1200 square feet, there are also four holes around the house which we made. He wants our entire security deposit (4600) to re-carpet the entire house, fix the walls and repaint the inside. On our lease, under the security deposit clause, it mentions that we are liable for damages to the property excluding ordinary wear and tear. It also mentions that he must give us an itemized account of each deduction. He is telling us that he wants to re-carpet the house for 4800 and on top of that fix everything else. The carpet was not the most high quality carpet and he says that home depot gave him the above quotation. Are we liable for getting the whole house re-carpeted? If the damages are only in three rooms is he liable to pay for the rest of the rooms or does the onus fall on us?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to help you.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
A landlord does have to provide former tenant with an itemized and detailed list of deductions applied to the security deposit and generally, such deductions can cover any damages caused by the tenant, beyond an ordinary wear and tear.
Generally, if the carpet was damaged in part of the house, but all of the rooms have the same carpet design and color, then the landlord can insist on the entire house being re-carpeted, in order to match as it did before tenants moved in.
However, if the tenant does not agree with the amount of the deduction or any specific charge / cost, then a lawsuit can be filed in the local court and the dispute would be reviewed by the judge and the judge will make a decision based on evidence and arguments presented in court.
I wish you the best of luck!
Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.
Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.Thank you.