Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
8534270

I need to write a letter to a water authority who encroached

Customer Question

I need to write a letter to a water authority who encroached on my property when they put in a waterline to ask for "damages" in Loudoun County. How do I find an attorney who will not charge me a fortune, as I am a senior who does not make much. Or do I go ahead and file a civil suit?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today. You can sue here in Virginia in small claims for up to $5k.This may not be the total of your damages but no lawyer is needed. You can file this yourself, serve them , and go tell it to the small claims judge and be awarded $5k and filing fees. Reference and self help..http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/overview-landlord-tenant-laws-minnesota.html Forms.. http://www.courts.state.va.us/forms/district/dc402inst.pdf If you want use a lawyer and sue for more then you want one that will take it contingent fee , which means you do not pay until there is recovery. You can locate one here... http://www.vsb.org/vlrs/index.php/public/vlrs/ I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Sample letter for you here.
Water Authority
Address
Re: Demand Letter for Encroachment
Dear Sirs ,
Demand is hereby made for damages in the amount for $5k (you can put in any amount you want to claim here as damages)for your encroachment onto the property located at***** City, Virginia.
This encroachment has reduced my property value and interfered with my ability to use my residence by this amount.
Unless you agree to pay the sum of $5k and resolve these issues I will proceed to file suit against you and take my case to the judge.
I will allow you 10 business days to resolve this matter and render me compensation. If I have to file suit additional filing fees and costs may be incurred by you.
I will be looking forward to hearing from you and resolving this matter with proper compensation as set out above.
Sincerely yours,
Your name
This is a sample demand letter here if you want to try and resolve this prior to a lawsuit.
Sorry I left this off earlier.If you have more follow up please just ask.It is never a problem.
Thanks again.
If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is always much appreciated.