Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I am buying my mom a 2 bedroom in an over 55 community. We

Customer Question

I am buying my mom a 2 bedroom in an over 55 community. We decided to have both our names in the place and have joint tenancy with rights of survivorship. In which documents do we have to specify that as we effectuate the purchase?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
You would just need to make sure the the deed listed both of you as owners on the property "as joint tenants with right of survivorship". That would make sure that if mother passed, the property would instantly become your sole property and would not have to go through probate.
.
So you just need to make sure the lender or closing company has the deed drafted to reflect that you are taking title together as joint tenants.
.
.
thanks