Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

I am renting a 3 bedroom house to a mother, adult son and their

Customer Question

I am renting a 3 bedroom house to a mother, adult son and their 3 small dogs. I knew they had 3. There was a leak in the wall causing mold remediation in the kitchen and one bedroom as well as asbestos removal, etc. I paid for a hotel room for 30 days while repairs were being done, including about $3,000 in pet fees? Am I responsible for any pet fees? The property management said I had to put the tenants up and obtained a hotel, put the charges on their co card and did not share the bill til after they moved back in. I now see $75 a day plus taxes for the 3 dogs. No written notice was given to me on charges that comes to almost $6,000 now. The house is in Norfolk,VA.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
Were the dogs or other personal property included in the agreement to provide alternate accommodations?
Did they pay rent for the time they were out?
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My property management company VERBALLY told me I was obligated to put the tenants up for up to 30 days. They got the hotel and put on their company card. They said the room was about $80n day plus tax and the dogs were $25 ( not $25 ea plus taxes). At the time I verbally ok'd but was not anticipating the repairs would take 30 days and they never said the rates were MUCH higher on the week-ends and holiday. They did continue to pay rent and I gave them the option to terminate the lease and the property company offered them another property, they declined. I have refused to pay the dogs share or and am asking to raise their rent $250, as their lease is up this August.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
It sounds as if the management company exceeded the scope of your authorization.
You should only be liable for the amount you agreed to pay.
Additionally, the tenant should be paying the rent also since you provided a place to live.
Best regards.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service to you.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Loren,I do have additional questions.I was expecting to see a reply with how VA deals with my situation, if any?Isn’t there a section of the Law that addresses this?If you are not familiar with VA, how does the state you live in address this?Since there was no written agreement made by myself or the property management company, where do I stand? They are expecting FULL payment immediately.Should they have to bill the tenant’s and go after them or am I setting myself up for a lawsuit?I do also have another rental property with them.Can I fire them?If so, am I obligated to pay them their fees for the remainder of the lease?I am willing to pay 1/3 per my verbal agreement.I see I have been charged $5 plus $53=$58 for this. When does my question/answer end?Thanks,Jerry
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
This is not statutory. It is based upon your agreement with the management company and the authority which you gave them as your agent.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
If they are claiming that you are obliged to oay them then it is there burden to prove the debt and its legal validity.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
If you and the management company can not reach an agreement as to how much you owe, their recourse is to sue you or withhold it from the rents they collect from the tenants under your management agreement.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
You can fire them as managers if allowed under the agreement. Again, this is contractual, not statutory.