Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

We purchased a home in Orem, Utah, on June 24, 2015, and on July 4, the sewer backed up du

Customer Question

We purchased a home in Orem, Utah, on June 24, 2015, and on July 4, the sewer backed up due to failed pluming. As new homeowners, we are now faced with an additional, unexpected $20,000 in expenses for major, necessary repairs. This problem was not raised in the inspection. Do we have any legal recourse to obtain funding from the previous owners?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
.
Did the seller's disclose that they ever had problems with the plumbing or sewer on the Seller's Disclosure form?
.
Or was this an "as is" sale?
.
What went wrong with the sewer?
.
Have you had it inspected by a licensed plumber who stated that this is an old problem that would have happened before?
.
Or something that they would have had to have known about?
.
.
thanks