Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

We own a semi attached home with a garage, and shared driveway in Brooklyn,New Y

Customer Question

We own a semi attached home with a garage, and shared driveway in Brooklyn,New York. An investor purchased the home next door. He plans to build back, and into the driveway. Can he legally permanently block our access to our garage and the cars we park in the back without our written consent?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good evening,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.
1. Is the shared driveway subject to an easement in your favor allowing you access to your garage? Is that easement set out in your deed?
2. If not, how long has the shared driveway existed?
Doug