LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

As part of a divorce proceeding my girlfriends ex-husband researched

Customer Question

As part of a divorce proceeding my girlfriends ex-husband researched utility accounts and auto loan accounts to find that I had paid some and financed an auto for her family. What recourse do I have for this individual gathering information that should be expected to be private. I did not want my personal information made public. Also this party researched without my knowledge, salary information. I am not nor have I ever been a party to this matter.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a breach of my privacy and the privacy of my company. The utility company divulged personal data and the Auto Loan company divulged personal information. All done without a court order.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
While the information should have been available to either yourself or your friend---as each of you were involved with the transactions, the information should have not been provided to anyone else absent a lawful subpoena being served on them for the information.
The release of your personal information constituted an invasion of your privacy and you have a cause of action against the husband of your friend, as well as the utility company and lender for Invasion of Privacy.
Under the law, when you sue for Invasion of privacy, you may seek money damage for any actual harm you can show, as well as for emotional pain and suffering and for punitive damages.
You can retain an attorney to sue if you wish, or you can sue in small claims court and easily represent yourself.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug