RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I wanted to know what to do in this scenario. I have a

Customer Question

Hi, I wanted to know what to do in this scenario. I have a house that started escrow about 5 days ago. It is a two unit. buyers would like front unit empty. They have not paid the rent that was due on the 1st of the month. What notice should I give them a 30 Day notice, a 3 day notice, or someone said a 60 day notice???? Need help. Monica
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If they have failed to pay their rent, you can and should have already given them a 3 day notice to pay or vacate. If the tenant doesn't voluntarily move out after the landlord has properly given the required notice to the tenant, the landlord can evict the tenant; but in order to evict the tenant, the landlord must first file an unlawful detainer lawsuit in Superior Court. The 30 or 60 day notice would be to simply end a month to month lease, with 60 days needed if they have been there over a year. Ideally, they would vacate but if they do not, you would need to proceed with the eviction since the buyer is not going to close if a tenant is still there, if they want the unit for themselves.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!
Hi, are you still with me?