Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

Myself and my three brothers share title of our mothers house.

Customer Question

Myself and my three brothers share title of our mothers house. My oldest brother is in charge of the estate.My three brothers have their own homes. Two live in different states but one lives near the house. They haven't lived in the house in over 13 years. Even though all four names are ***** ***** bill to pay the taxes that are due on the house every year, I have paid the bill for 13 years. Not one of them has helped pay anything towards any maintenance, like if things get broke or anything, I have. I have lived in the house way before our mother died. Two of my brothers want their share of the house and put me and my daughters and granddaughter out. There is nothing in the will stating who pays what, it is all hearsay and nothing in writing. the will just says who has title of house and head of our mothers estate. I want to keep living here and possibly own the house with just me on title. What can i do and what rights do i have if any.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.
1. Was the estate ever probated after your mother's death, or were you names all on the deed before her death?
This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might better suit your needs. If you are interested, I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. I will make that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread. All you need do is accept the offer if you would like me to call.
Doug