Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. experience with Real Estate
19127644

The buyers of my home are seeking a VA loan. They contracted

Customer Question

The buyers of my home are seeking a VA loan. They contracted their own inspector to go through the home and gave me a list of what their inspector found. I am reluctant to do repairs on anything knowing that a USDA inspector will be coming as well. What if I do repairs now and they don't like how they are done. Can I ask them to wait to see what that inspector says?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for the information and your question, however I am unclear on why you believe there will be a different "inspection." There will only be one inspection and that is by the inspector that the buyers hire at their option. However, with a VA guaranteed loan, there will be an Appraisal. At that step if the home does not meet Minimum Property Requirements, then the Appraiser will let the buyer and lender know and at that point either updates/repairs would need to be made to meet the MPRs or the VA approval would not be forthcoming. Basically, they will be looking to see if the home is safe and structurally sound. You can see a good discussion of what they will look for by going to the following link: http://www.veteransunited.com/resources/guides/va-loan-appraisal-process/ But again, this is not the inspection, it is the appraisal. So, if your purchase contract had an inspection clause that gave the buyers the right to inspect and ask for repairs, then that is their right. Usually the contract will also give them the right to back out of the contract if you refuse. You will want to review your purchase contract for that clause and their rights and yours. If that is what the clause says, then if you refuse to do these repairs now, they would have the right to walk away. There is always a chance that the appraiser may find something that they missed, but as long as you make repairs that are compliant with code, you wouldn't be doing anything wrong. Please feel free to ask for clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Hello again,
I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 13th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (in the pop up box for this question, which is how we get credit (paid) for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/
Thank you.