Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I am purchasing a home. We are two weeks away from closing

Customer Question

I am purchasing a home. We are two weeks away from closing July 24th and I find out today that the seller will be out of the country and wants to delay until the 31st and not only the seller but their real estate agent is also out of the country so we are dealing with their assistant right now. The 24th has been our closing date from the very beginning and has never changed. I have already made plans to be traveling across country on the 31st and not returning for 2 weeks. So the sellers delay would force me to delay my movers, my storage unit and the work that I wanted to have done while we were away effectively delaying everything almost another month.
Do I have any legal recourse if the seller refuses to either close on time or early (if my lender is able)? They have either known for a while that they would not be able to close on the 24th and have just delayed in telling us or they knowingly made plans that conflicted with the agreed upon date and again waited to tell us. We are in the state of North Carolina.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
As you have asked for a phone call, I will offer you that and I will process that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread. Please understand that there is an additional charge for this additional service.
After you accept my offer of the phone call, would you please provide your phone number in the box entitled "Enter private contact info"? After you do that, please send me a quick Reply to let me know that you have posted the number, so I can call you.
Thanks in advance,
Doug
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I did not mean to request a phone call an answer here is fine. Thanks
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
I am unable to further assist you in this matter, and I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other professionals.
Your question is being placed back in the question list for other professionals to see, and to respond to. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should another professional pick it up, you should be alerted by email unless you actively disable this feature.
There is no need for you to reply at this time as this may "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other professionals' access to it.
I apologize for any inconvenience and wish you well in your future.
Doug