Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

The broker handling sale of my home has made numerous errors,

Customer Question

The broker handling sale of my home has made numerous errors, communicates very poorly despite my requests for improved communication, and I've caught her in two outright lies. I'm worried about the closing on house that is coming up soon. Can I hire an attorney to go with me to closing to help protect my interests? If so, how do I find such an attorney?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
Yes, you absolutely can and should engage a lawyer to assist you with the closing. Brokers simply find you your buyer. They are not lawyers and should not be providing any legal counsel regarding the legal issues relating to closing. Furthermore, they have a built in conflict of interest because their primary interest is their commission, not protecting you. Under my terms of service with JustAnswer, I'm not allowed to make a specific recommendation, but I can give you direction. You would want to either contact the state bar association or your nearest law school for a referral. I prefer the latter because they take great pride in their graduates and will take a more personal interest in making sure your referral is a good one because it will be a reflection of the school. But, a residential home closing is not a complicated case so you would only need a 1-2 year lawyer rather than a more experienced lawyer with the higher billing rate that comes with that experience.
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!