Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I live in Forest Hill Md. I lived on the same property since

Customer Question

I live in Forest Hill Md. I lived on the same property since May of 1990 for 25 years I have Cut and maintained The property passed my property line. I recently wanted to put up a boring shed and one of my neighbors called and complained and the Harford County inspector said I couldn't because it wasn't my property. Do I have any rights to clean that property as mine under squatters rights or any other
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You would have to seek to file a lawsuit in court claiming the rights to the property by adverse possession. In MD, “Adverse possession is a method whereby a person who was not the owner of property obtains a valid title to that property by the passage of time.” See: Md. Civ. Pattern Jury Instr. 2:1 (MPJI-Civ.).
Under MD law, adverse possession requires you to “show that such possession was actual, notorious, exclusive,
hostile, under claim of title or ownership,and continuous or uninterrupted for the period of twenty years.” See: Banks v. Pusey, 393 Md. 688, 709 n.11 (2006).
Since you have used and possessed the land openly and have used it as your own for over 25 years believing it was a part of your land, you would need to sue in court with a Petition to Quiet Title by adverse possession and you will have to prove that you have possessed the land for the required minimum 20 years for the court to issue an order granting you the ownership rights.