Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

My granddaughter looked at a 1br apt., told the guy showing

Customer Question

My granddaughter looked at a 1br apt., told the guy showing it that she would take it, asked to return in an hour, was told by same person that he was showing another apt later and would be tied up the rest of the day. (this was Fri.) asked if she could come in "tomorrow" was told there would be no one there until Monday morning, made an apt for 8:30am Mon. to sign the lease. That evening my granddaughter got an e-mail saying that he had gotten a "walk-in' and had rented the apt on the spot. First, my grdtr.had to make an appt. to see the apt because they only showed by appointment, fully discussed the need to return later because of added expences and the need to transfer money from savings to checking. All of this was discussed and agreed on prior to leaving also the appointment was duly noted in an appointment book on the receptionests desk. Is this illegal or just highly unethical
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
It's unfortunately not illegal. A contract is only created once there's an offer and acceptance. Saying "I need to look again" or expressing some reservations isn't enough to create a contract. The landlord would only be required to hold the apartment in that scenario if your granddaughter had put down some kind of holding deposit. Otherwise, they're allowed to rent to someone else who walks in and wants to sign a contract right away. This is largely because a lot of prospective tenants say things like "I just need to check on X," and then vanish. Those conversations don't create an obligation on either side.
It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.